Friday, July 4, 2014

Holy Doors


During my week long vacation in Montreal, my husband and I visited many churches. I absolutely love the extravagant beauty of cathedrals. Talk about passion. Well, I ran into quite a unique experience on a day trip to Quebec City. One I have never experienced, even during my trips to Europe.


What did Quebec City offer? Holy Doors. Apparently Quebec City's Notre-Dame de Québec basilica has the only Holy Doors in North America. And I walked through them.


Have you heard of these Holy Doors? I had not. Fortunately our tour guide informed us of this internationally significant opportunity. These doors are only opened once every 25 years and these doors are the only in North America. The other six are in Rome, Ars-sur-Formans, France and Santiago de Compostela in Spain. I guess they weren't open when I was in Rome...

The door has a molding of Jesus with an outstretched hand, personally inviting you to enter. The door takes you into a small part of the basilica. I loved that they were not picky about attire or anything else. Everyone was allowed to pass. Many probably were not Christians, but they were intrigued by this time-stained ritual. The symbolism is beautiful. What is even more spectacular is that we have the opportunity to "enter" into Jesus' love 24-7, for our whole lives. We don't need to adventure through Holy Doors to find made Holy. Jesus did that for us. That is amazing grace.

Do you know what it means to enter into Jesus' love? If you are a Christian, what are some actions you take to make your relationship with Jesus more tangible?

More information on the first Holy Doors in North America.

No comments:

Post a Comment